The Alpha CXPS-FR3 is a standalone rectifier bay that can be used to upgrade inefficient and aging Ferroresonant rectifiers. As a drop-in replacement for RL400 and PECO II 400 rectifiers by Apha, an EnerSys company, the FR3 re-purposes existing AC and DC cabling which minimizes installation time and avoids costly replacements.
For decades, Ferroresonant rectifiers have powered traditional telecom central offices. However, as Ferros age and begin to fail, it is becoming difficult to find parts as well as qualified technicians to diagnose and repair the problems. Maintenance issues can result in lower network reliability. These issues, coupled with the Ferros’ relative operational inefficiencies, are driving operators to upgrade their systems to modern, high efficiency switchmode rectifiers.
Alpha Technologies provides the ideal ‘like for like’ retrofit solution, with minimal installation time and disruption to the office. The interfaces to the FR3 have been engineered in such a fashion that the existing AC and DC infrastructure feeding the Ferroresonant plants can be reused. The building blocks for the FR3 are Alpha’s highly reliable Cordex HP 12.0kW and 4.0kW rectifiers.
Unlike other solutions in the market, the FR3 design enables operators to add up to 50% more power capacity or recover floor space savings. In addition, the wrap-around bay design deflects heat flow upwards, allowing operators to install batteries directly behind the bay. The bay also comes equipped with Alpha’s powerful CXC HP Controller, which can further modernize the power plant with advanced control and monitoring features.
Alpha CXPS-FR3 Features
- Ferroresonant rectifier retrofit solution for RL400 and PECO II 400 rectifiers
- Significant CAPEX savings by maintaining existing AC and DC cabling infrastructure
- Unique solution providing up to 50% capacity growth or floor space savings without changes to existing infrastructure
- Fully integrated solution including in-bay system controller
- Wrap-around bay design directs heat exhaust via the top, allowing batteries to be placed directly behind the bay