Square D Risk Assessment Service
The Square D Risk Assessment Service is a complete mechanical, electrical, security technology, and data center checkup that will identify points of vulnerability and reduce the risk of critical equipment failure.
This assessment provides a detailed, documented road map of the risks associated with your facility’s critical infrastructure including electrical, mechanical, security technology, and data center power and cooling systems. Our services are available for any manufacturer’s brand of equipment. This report rates your facility’s risks based on multiple impact levels and the probability of occurrence. It then provides suggestions on the best ways to mitigate these issues along with the estimated costs. You determine the next steps to correct deficiencies based on your organization’s criteria and timelines.
Square D Risk Assessment Service for Electrical Distribution Systems
Performed by professional engineers, our risk assessment service identifies and prioritizes issues, including environmental conditions that could cause future equipment failure and compromise power system reliability. These assessments are performed to reduce risk to your facility from reliability issues, code violations, or outdated workplace safety requirements.
- Walk-through assessment – Visual inspection of equipment to acquire knowledge of equipment condition; produce documentation and photographs.
- System one-line evaluation – Review system one-line drawings and the topology of power distribution to evaluate opportunities for improving system reliability.
- Equipment condition evaluation – Assess the condition of the equipment as to age, maintenance practices, and the overall suitability of the application.
- Codes compliance evaluation – Evaluate the power distribution system against a checklist of key issues related to the NEC, NFPA 99, and The Joint Commission requirements.
- Electrical safe work practices (ESWP) policy review – Review the facility’s ESWP policy for compliance to OSHA and NFPA 70E requirements.
- Environmental conditions evaluation – Evaluate the environmental condition of your electrical distribution components and its suitability to proper equipment operation.
- Maintenance cycle review – Review the current maintenance cycle against industry best practices for healthcare facilities.
- Emergency Action Plan (EAP) review – Review the electrical section of the facility’s EAP to ensure that emergency response actions are planned in the event of the breakdown of a key electrical component.
- Arc flash analysis (optional service) – Estimate incident energy levels, identify appropriate levels of personal protective equipment (PPE), and determine flash protection boundaries at specific points in an electrical distribution system.
- Time-current coordination analysis (optional service) – Evaluate an electrical system’s protective devices, including relays, fuses, and circuit breakers, and the equipment to which they are applied.
- Short circuit analysis (optional service) – Calculate the fault current levels throughout the power system. The interrupting duties of the devices being analyzed are compared with the available fault currents.
Square D Risk Assessment Service for Data Centers
Our risk assessment service for data centers analyzes your facility’s current and future capacity requirements for data in terms of power and cooling infrastructure, capacity needs, and operations. It also highlights any single points of failure in the data center and recommends ways to mitigate the associated risks. The factors taken into consideration while evaluating the infrastructure include: current and future data needs, IT load growth, uptime requirements, and historical concerns with existing equipment. The scope of this work is focused on the data center infrastructure comprising UPS, power distribution, cooling, static transfer switch, and backup generation. Also included is an evaluation of current management and control capabilities to schedule equipment and track assets.
- Walk-through assessment – Visual inspection of data center equipment, checking for damaged equipment, improper installation, and environmental conditions.
- Equipment condition evaluation – Assess the condition of the equipment with regard to age, and evaluate current maintenance practices against industry standards and manufacturer recommendations.
- Power assessment – Check all major components of the power distribution infrastructure. Evaluate risk based on age, condition, environment, and current maintenance schedule. Record input and output load measurements taken from UPS.
- Load analysis – Record, interpret, and analyze measured load data from power distribution units and discuss future IT needs.
- Document static transfer switch configuration – Identify and record preferred and alternate power sources, document load readings, identify load balances and load transfer capabilities.
- Cooling analysis – Visual assessment and inspection of equipment. Check environmental and equipment condition. Evaluate air distribution topology effectiveness relative to the computer room heat load. Measure airflow and temperature of the raised floor air distribution system. Identify possible obstructions and restrictions.
- Backup generator analysis – Evaluate condition of backup generator including age, maintenance history, engine, fuel condition, and batteries.
- Review the Emergency Response Policy and Contingency Plan – Evaluate current emergency response procedures within the data center and make recommendations to improve response time while prioritizing around the criticality of each system. Develop contingency plans to preserve data and quickly get the data center back online.
For a real-world story on the importance of a Risk Assessment Service and Delta Airlines System Shutdown click here.